Monday, July 14, 2008

Yes, that's my son

We have a funny family story...five generations of the first-born sons have be given the middle name of Edward, Jacob being the fifth. However, the story goes that Jacob's great-great grandfather was skipped over for this honor. Being born one-day before a horrible cyclone hit his birth town, his father opted to name him James Cyclone after finding the newborn and his mother alive in the rubble. Story says James hated that name, went by James C. and once his son was born quickly re-established the tradition of Edward.
Well, this story was shared with me during my pregnancy. I thought it was a super cool story. I kidded Philip that we should name our child Cyclone. He certainly moved within my frame like a cyclone. In the end (and after a YOU WANT TO CALL MY GRANDCHILD WHAT? response from my mother) we named him Jacob Edward.
Fast forward a few years. Jacob loves the cyclone story. Jacob has always been a cyclone! And now, Jacob sports a "cyclonic" look on his head...the cock-eyed, crooked mohawk. And...sh...don't tell him (because I had to show the obligatory motherly eye roll at first)...I actually kind-of like it. Makes me laugh everytime I see it!
I should have gone with my instincts 15 years ago...He is Jacob Cyclone!

No comments: